Learning more about how to overcome differences, reduce implicit bias and improve online teaching were topics of particular interest to NEOMED faculty and staff in 2021, based on the titles viewed most frequently on a recently implemented professional development tool called Academic Impressions. The online learning platform is available at no cost to NEOMED faculty and staff.
The three most popular titles in 2021 were:
- Conflict Management: A Practical Workshop for Leaders
- DEI Foundations: Implicit Bias in Higher Education
- Faculty Voice: Strategies to Improve Your Online Course Communication
Lacey Madison, chief strategy officer, has taken advantage of recorded and live virtual conferences through Academic Impressions.
“I found the sessions provided tremendous value that was relevant and actionable,” says Madison. “The live virtual conference enabled networking with subject matter experts and other higher education professionals who were tackling similar issues. From my perspective, it was a high-quality experience.”
Bianka Hernandez, director of grants accounting, completed the course on implicit bias.
“Implicit bias limits our ability to recognize greatness in others without our conscious knowledge because of stereotypes or prejudice,” Hernandez says. “In my opinion, Academic Impressions provides great education opportunities such as the “DEI Foundations: Implicit Bias in Higher Education,” which equip us with the ability to understand and be aware of our own implicit biases toward a person or group of people. This knowledge propels us to become agents of change working toward a more diverse, accepting and inclusive community at NEOMED to foster a sense of belonging for students, faculty and staff.”
About Academic Impressions
Academic Impressions provides online professional development to colleges and universities across the nation, including NEOMED. Topics include leadership, faculty success, academic planning, diversity and enrollment management.
Instructions for faculty and staff:
- Go to academicimpressions.com
- Click on Create Account/Login in the upper right
- Enter your @neomed.edu email address
- The familiar NEOMED single sign-on screen should appear
- Enter your password and continue
- Choose from among hundreds of free webcasts, workshops and bootcamps
Instructions for clinical faculty:
- Do not use neomed.edu email. Instead, log in or create an account, using the email associated with your faculty appointment as both your username and your password. This will allow you full access, and member benefits will automatically be granted. Be sure to update your password upon signing in for the first time.
If you have trouble logging in, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.