The 2021 Family Medicine Education Consortium (FMEC) Annual Meeting was held in Pittsburgh Oct. 8-10. FMEC is a regional family medicine organization consisting of the northeast region of the United States.
The theme of this year's conference was "Family Medicine: The Unbreakable Bridge to Health Equity.”
At the annual meeting, NEOMED and its partner family medicine residencies had a big showing. Twelve NEOMED College of Medicine students, five Department of Family and Community Medicine faculty, and twelve partner Family Medicine residency program faculty/residents presented.
Here are the presentations by NEOMED students, faculty and its affiliate family medicine residency programs.
NEOMED students and Rootstown-based faculty:
- Burnout and Wellness Quality Improvement Study
Amy Adik (M2), Arjun Pandya (M4)
- Practicality of Extended Leave of Absence of Family Medicine Physicians Experiencing Burnout
Jake Brock (M4)
- Implementing the Comprehensive Opioid and Pain Management Curriculum in Ohio’s Medical Schools: A Qualitative Study
Stacey Gardner-Buckshaw Ph.D., MPA, Elizabeth Beverly Ph.D., John Boltri M.D., FAAFP, Rebecca Fischbein Ph.D.
- Interprofessional Engagement for Medical Student Training at a Student Run Free Clinic
Stacey Gardner-Buckshaw Ph.D., MPA, John Boltri M.D., FAAFP
- Behaviors, Beliefs, and Perceptions of COVID-19 in Rural Ohio
Sanjay Jinka (M3), Sanaa Mansoor (M4), Matthew Kubina (M3), Jay Natarajan (M3), Rebecca Fischbein, Ph.D., Mike Appleman, MA Ed.
- Primary Care Implementation of MAT for Opioid Use Disorder in Northeast Ohio
Poojajeet Khaira (M4), Stacey Gardner-Buckshaw, Ph.D., MPA, Adam Perzynski, Ph.D.
- Implementation of a Dietitian Screening Protocol at a Student-Run Free Clinic
Emily Marsico (M2), Anna Cherian (M4), Alicia Bond, M.D.
- Responding to the Primary Care Workforce Challenge
Stacy Potts, M.D., Ashley Bentley, MBA, Erik Porfeli, Ph.D., Gina Weisblat, Ph.D., John Boltri, M.D., Mike Appleman, MA Ed.
- Rape Crisis Center Evaluation: Pre- and Mid-Pandemic
Roshni Wani (M2)
- Improving Routine Cervical Cancer Screening Rates at My Community Health Center: A Quality Improvement Proposal
Michaela Ward (M2)
NEOMED family medicine residency partners:
- Physician Inbasket Management: A Lean Six Sigma Approach
Verlaine L. Blaser, D.O.
- Preparing to Succeed: Moving from Student Loan Indebtedness to Financial Success
James Hemphill, CFP, CIMA, CPWA, Joy Sorensen Navarre, BA, Christine Alexander-Rager M.D.
- The Juggling Act: Women, Medicine, and Families
Christine Alexander-Rager M.D., Amy Crawford-Faucher M.D., Stacy Potts M.D.
- Developing New Models of Healthcare in the Covid Pandemic: A View from the Street
Michael Seidman M.D., Christine Alexander M.D., Katie Davis MSN, RN, PHNA-BC, Rahul Shenoy M.D., Leanne Chrisman M.D.
- Implementation of a Medical Legal Partnership in a Family Medicine Residency Program
Brooke Babyak M.D., Shannon Perkins Ph.D.
- Know Thy Inhalers! A Workshop to Improve Care for Patients with COPD and Asthma
Hemalatha Senthilkumar M.D., Bode Adebambo M.D., Dominique Monteleone
- Flu Outreach During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Pratik Patel M.D., John A. DiSabato M.D., FAAFP, Katherine Davis M.D.
- (MCH) Introduction to Prenatal Care for the Family Medicine Resident
Kathleen Fay M.D., Lynn Hamrich
- 9Skin Spots in Short Time Slots: An Interactive FM Dermatology Curriculum
Shawna Koprucki M.D., Lisa Weiss M.D.
- Forming a Narrative Medicine Group in Residency
Jessica Tomazic M.D., Lilian White M.D., Carl Tyler M.D.
- Screening for Sexually Transmitted Infections in Males
Ifeolorunbode (Bode) Adebambo M.D., Hemalatha Senthilkumar M.D., Jamil Khoury M.D.