Graduating pharmacy students at NEOMED this spring placed into residencies at a rate far above national and state averages.
This year, 94% of the NEOMED pharmacy graduates who chose to apply were successful. That’s 12 points higher than the national placement rate of 82%. The placement rate for NEOMED placed eighth among 142 pharmacy schools nationwide and first in Ohio.
For students seeking to enter a second year of residency, 90% were successfully placed into such specialties as critical care, ambulatory care, psychiatry and infectious diseases.
The number of NEOMED students who choose to pursue a residency has increased over time. Between 40% to 50% of each graduating class seeks a residency position.
Seth Brownlee, Pharm.D., senior associate dean, program quality and student success in NEOMED's College of Pharmacy, says completing a residency isn’t mandatory for pharmacy students, but our graduates often choose to apply for one.
"They see the opportunity to obtain more training and launch their career with more and different job opportunities," Brownlee says. "For patients, the benefit is health professionals who are even better prepared and attuned to their needs."
NEOMED helps students interested in residencies through a variety of programming, including:
- a four-year co-curricular residency certificate track filled with exploratory and preparatory activities,
- expert help with applications, CVs and interviewing skills,
- a residency-preparation elective course for third-year pharmacy students and
- faculty advisors who meet individually with students to coach them on residency prep.
Residency training can last for one to two years after graduation. The first year, called postgraduate year one (PGY-1), typically offers more general training and exposure to a broad range of clinical scenarios, while postgraduate year two (PGY-2) allows students to explore a specific area of interest or specialization within the field.
Strength in pharmacy
NEOMED pharmacy graduates have historically placed at high rates.
"We have a strong reputation both regionally and nationally, and our students typically score high on licensure exams," Dr. Brownlee says. "We're proud of our track record in placing our students in residency programs, and we're confident that we can help motivated future students to achieve their career goals."
Did you know?
- The job placement for NEOMED's Class of 2022 was 96% of those seeking positions.
- NEOMED regularly holds Pharmacy Discovery Days for students considering careers in pharmacy.
- Our Pharmacy Admissions pages tell more about prerequisites, NEOMED's curriculum and the application process.