On July 29, 2016, NEOMED honored several of its outstanding residents and faculty members at the Student Clinician’s Ceremony and Luncheon. The annual ceremony is designed to provide guidance and support to medicine students as they prepare to begin their clerkships, a major step in their journey to becoming physicians. Third-year medicine students Bhanu Banda, Gina Baaklini, Shreya Reddy, Ian Klonk and Abhay Patel were chosen by their peers to read the class oath.
Daniel Wasdahl, M.D., associate professor of pathology, received the M2 Teacher of the Year Award, as selected by College of Medicine Class of 2018. Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Awardees included:
- Derek Ballas, D.O., OB/GYN, Summa Akron City Hospital
- Jessica Leszczynski, D.O., OB/GYN, Aultman Hospital
- Joel Rayl ('15), M.D., Internal Medicine, Summa Akron City Hospital
- Brian Reilly ('14), M.D., Pediatrics, Akron Children's Hospital
- Rohit Singh, M.D., Family Medicine, Summa Akron City Hospital
- Richard Ulrich, M.D., Psychiatry, Summa St. Thomas Hospital
Paul LeCat, M.D., professor of internal medicine, pediatrics, and family and community medicine, presented the keynote address. He reminded students that despite their lack of clinical experience, they make unique contributions when they take the time to hold a patient’s hand or do a more careful physical exam.