Health Legacy of Cleveland Board of Directors of have continued to raise and donate funds over the past 27 years, to bridge the gap of health care disparities for minorities in Cleveland. Our mission to increase the pool of African-American dentists and physicians in northeast Ohio has been elevated as vulnerable populations of people become more susceptible to widespread disease caused by the current pandemic. Health care disparities result because health/medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, hypertension and obesity are still problematic as generations encounter mortalities because of the lack of access to early detection and treatment.
Our vision to eliminate these health care disparities by partnering with the Cleveland Community must now include a cultural competency plan for recovering from the pandemic. Social determinants of health are emerging as risk factors which have a more severe effect on African-Americans.
Health Legacy will continue providing scholarship awards to deserving minority students that are willing to work hard to secure their medical degrees. Our requirements also stipulate that these individuals must have a desire to return to practice in Cleveland.
Currently, we are posting a scholarship award for students that meet the aforementioned qualifications. It is a competitive process and the number of awards depends on the number of applicants.
The application process for the Health Legacy of Cleveland Medical/Dental School Scholarship is NOW open and the deadline is July 31, 2020.
- African-American students (Underrepresented Minorities)
- Have graduated from a Greater Cleveland, Ohio (northeast Ohio) area high school
- Show proof of acceptance and enrollment in an HBCU or Cleveland area accredited medical or dental school (Case, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, NEOMED)
- Submit a completed online application explaining the importance of the scholarship and what it would mean to the student
- Demonstrate a commitment to return to practice in the Greater Cleveland area
- Demonstrate that the student requires financial assistance to pursue higher education
- The completed online application must be submitted by July 31, 2020.
- Awards will be announced via email no later than August 30, 2020.
Award checks will be sent directly to the Medical or Dental School to be applied to the student’s account to reduce their debt.
How to Apply
-Submitted by Sarah Moore