Please see below for a statement from Drs. Young and Mowad.
I am happy to let you know that you will be able to return to the Gross Anatomy Lab today. A diverse group of individuals from the University has continued to meet on a regular basis to review and assess the Gross Anatomy Lab situation. At this time the laboratory has been deemed safe for you to return in a limited capacity. In keeping with ongoing safety measures, the following plan will be in place until further notice.
- The lab will be used for cadaver prosection study only. You will not be returning to the lab to do full dissection.
- As you already heard from the HDS faculty, half the class at a time will work in the lab.
- Because you will be studying prosected cadavers, your time in the lab is estimated to be 60-90 minutes per session.
- In the event a student experiences or witnesses another student displaying any symptoms of irritation while in the lab, you must notify a faculty member or lab manager immediately.
- In accordance with the Curriculum Committee’s oversight, both cadaver prosection study and virtual dissection sessions will be mandatory, just as the previous gross anatomy lab was mandatory.
- There will be ongoing “spot checks” with real time monitoring by our Director of Occupational Health and Safety.
Again, thank you for all of your support and patience during this time. We will continue to keep you informed if anything changes.
Drs. Young and Mowad