The 2020 NEOMED Commencement Ceremony may not be live this year, but it will be lively!
NEOMED is one of only a few universities planning a commencement ceremony. And our students deserve an exciting sendoff as they embark on their new careers as health professionals.
The commencement planning team, with input from our graduating students and University leadership, has developed a plan to livestream our pre-recorded ceremony, Saturday, May 2 at 10 a.m.
Complete with pomp and circumstance, our 40th Commencement will bring you President Langell’s first commencement address and an exciting keynote address from NEOMED alumna and director of the Ohio Department of Health, Dr. Amy Acton ― providing her important role in leading Ohio’s battle against COVID-19 allows her the time to do so.
The pre-recorded ceremony will feature our students, their residencies, and for the first time, awards and other highlights. With several added twists, the ceremony will not only have presentations of our student oaths and our military student inductions, but it will also include a variety of congratulatory notes from faculty and staff as well. WE WILL ACCOMPLISH ALL WHILE REMAINING SOCIALLY DISTANT!
Although, we won’t all be in one room for the traditional “live” ceremony, we aim to show our appreciation and recognize our students while also experiencing their real-time emotions and reactions as their names are being announced.
To accomplish this, the following initiatives will take place:
- We are mailing our students their regalia, so that they can don their robes in the comfort of their homes (and perhaps with family members who reside with them).
- Student will be able to share their joy via Zoom technology live on May 2.
- As the full pre-recorded commencement ceremony streams live, the students’ live Zoom feed will also be on the screen.
- When their names are called on the pre-recorded commencement, we will get to see the students in their regalia and hear them as they celebrate in a memorable and exciting way.
- For each graduating student, whether they are able to participate in Zoom or not, the pre-recorded commencement ceremony will include their class picture, other relevant details, such as their residency, and the announcement of their name.
Graduates will be sent the instructions and the Zoom link to join. The NEOMED community, families and the general public will be provided with the livestream link to watch the excitement of graduation day.
We’re proud of our NEOMED graduates and can’t wait to show it during our 40th commencement celebration! Join us on May 2 at 10 a.m. for the 2020 NEOMED Commencement Ceremony.