October is American Pharmacists Month -- a time to recognize pharmacists’ contributions to health care and all they can do for their communities! The month-long observance brings awareness to the wide array of services pharmacists can provide. A pharmacist can simplify care with easy access to answers that bring relief! Even a short conversation with your pharmacist can make a big difference; pharmacists are easily accessible and can answer questions that help you with your medications.
In the spirit of the month here are a few ways pharmacists can help you stay healthy:
Dispensing Medication Knowledge
We’ve all seen that multi-page document when we get our prescriptions with every possible side effect in small print. Your pharmacist also knows what medications you are taking and can give you a quick answer regarding medication safety tailored to your own regimen.
Reducing Medication Costs
Medications are expensive but your pharmacist knows there are different options available for prescriptions that could save you money.
You don’t have to see a physician to get a routine vaccine for yourself or your family. Pharmacists are licensed in all 50-states to give immunizations.
Pharmacists can play a key role by explaining how certain health conditions are connected to smoking and outline some of the medications (and over-the-counter products) that are designed to help curb cravings.
Pharmacists can provide information related to blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar and lifestyle suggestions to aid in managing your health.
To learn even more about what pharmacists are doing for our community please join us in celebrating American Pharmacists Month at the following events:
- Ice Cream Social: October 3, 2019 in the New Conference Lobby (in front of Rootstown Community Pharmacy) from 11:30-1:30 p.m. Come meet our student organizations and get a scoop of ice cream!
- Trunk-or-Treat: October 31, 2019 in the New Center from 5:30-7:30 p.m. Come trick or treat with your pharmacist in the New Center parking lot!
- Provider Status Townhall hosted by Dr. Jackie Boyle: October 16, 2019 from noon to 1 p.m. in Watanakunakorn Auditorium. Learn about how pharmacy practice is changing in Ohio!
- NAMI Walk, Akron, Ohio: October 26, 2019. This event will raise money and awareness to ensure vital, free NAMI programs and services are available to provide help and hope to those in need. If you are interested, please contact Jessica Bular at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Speaker Series: Student Societies of Health-System Pharmacy (SSHP) will be sponsoring a speaker with unique topics related to pharmacy practice every day during the week of October 21-25, 2019. Lunch will be provided so watch The Pulse for announcements and don’t miss out on RSVP’s for these events!
-Submitted by Stacey Schneider