External Scholarship opportunity for College of Medicine students from GoodRx:
According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, only 6.2% of all medical school graduates were Black at the end of the 2019 academic year, equating to just 1,238 graduates. In addition to representing a stark minority while also navigating systemic racism in health education, Black medical students also tend to enter medical school with higher rates of undergraduate debt. Through this scholarship, GoodRx is providing financial assistance to Black students studying to be physicians to encourage and support their professional goals. Our aim is to help create a more diverse and inclusive future in healthcare where Black healthcare providers are happy, healthy, and supported.
GoodRx will award $1,000 to 10 pre-med or medical students.
The scholarship awards will be distributed as follows:
- Five currently enrolled pre-med students
- Five currently enrolled medical students
- Self-identify as Black or African American
- Be a current pre-medical undergraduate or medical (MD or DO) student
- Plan to enroll in full-time pre-medical undergraduate study or medical study (MD or DO) at an accredited institution or medical school, for the entire upcoming academic year
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent)
- April 7 – May 19, 2021: Applications open
- July 19, 2021: Winners notified
- Early August, 2021: Funds distributed to schools or individuals
How to Apply: The deadline to apply to the GoodRx Future Black Physicians Scholarship is Wednesday, May 19 at 3:00pm CT.
-Submitted by Sarah Moore