Latest update from the College of Medicine regarding the Gross Anatomy Lab:
- SITUATION: Upon experiencing different symptoms of irritation, at least four students have reported concerns about the Gross Anatomy Lab. The irritation may be related to the level of chemical exposure present at each cadaver station.
- CAUSE: We do not have a definitive “root cause” of the problem.
- ASSESSMENT: Upon receiving an initial assessment that was conducted independently by our Office of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety, we are seeking an external consultant to assess the situation and provide recommendations for a definitive solution.
- SAFETY: YOUR SAFETY IS OUR PRIMARY FOCUS. Therefore, the Gross Anatomy Lab will remain closed until further notice. This includes after-hours study and review sessions.
- HEALTH & WELLNESS: If you have any present health concerns or symptoms that you believe may be related to chemical exposure in the Gross Anatomy Lab, please seek immediate medical assessment with your primary care physician. If you do not have a local primary care physician, you may seek medical care with AxessPointe Community Health Centers in Kent, Ohio. Health care providers there are available for enrolled NEOMED students (1-888-975-9188.) If you require any assistance with health care access, please contact Anita Pokorny, assistant dean of students in the College of Medicine (330-325-6760).
- EDUCATION: Regarding your Gross Anatomy Lab coursework, Chris Vinyard, the course director, will be communicating with you regularly to assure your education is in no way compromised. He will serve as your curricular point of contact and source of course communication.
We will continue to keep you apprised as more information comes forward.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.